Ventura County Landmark No. 49: Trinity Episcopal Church
Historical Background
This redwood English gingerbread and Craftsman-style church was originally built in Hueneme in 1901. It was constructed on the east side of Ventura Road (formerly Fourth Street), between Pleasant Valley Road and Clara Street, by Senator Thomas Bard for his wife Molly. In 1933, Mrs. Bard gave the little church to the Fillmore Episcopalians; it was dismantled, every piece numbered, transported to Fillmore, and rebuilt. This church has one of the few remaining lych gates (a gateway covered with a roof found at the entrance to a traditional English or English-style churchyard) in the United States.
The Episcopal Church began in 1789 after the War of Independence as the American version of the Church of England. The Episcopal Church is the American member of the world-wide Anglican Communion. (Trinity Episcopal Church, Fillmore, n. d.).
References
Trinity Episcopal Church, Fillmore (n. d.). https://www.trinityfillmore.org/