ATTENTION: Citizen Access will be unavailable Thursday, October 9 at 5:00 PM to Monday, October 13 at 6:00 AM for scheduled maintenance and updates. We apologize for the inconvenience.
A bride in a white gown and groom in a gray suit embrace on a grassy lawn in front of Saint Rose of Lima Catholic Church, with a vintage tan and black convertible (license plate '5LUR480') parked nearby. The church features a colorful stained glass window and white siding.
Saint Rose of Lima Catholic Church after relocation to Strathearn Park and rehabilitation. Credit: Strathearn Historical Park and Museum.

Ventura County Landmark No. 66: Saint Rose of Lima Catholic Church

Historical Background

This modest wood-frame structure was originally constructed in 1902 for a Presbyterian congregation, on land donated by Thomas Bard. It was intended to provide a separate place of worship for the Presbyterian congregation, distinct from the Methodist‑led community Protestant church that held services in one of the colony houses. Although residents wished to support two separate churches, the community could not afford two full‑time ministers, and worshippers often attended whichever church had a preacher available. By 1908, the Presbyterians stopped using the building and returned to worship in the colony house (Strathearn Historical Park and Museum, n.d).

In 1910, the original Presbyterian church, no longer used by its founding congregation, began hosting Catholic Masses. Diary entries from Juan E. Camarillo, a prominent early resident of Simi Valley, describe crowded Catholic services held inside the original Presbyterian church, illustrating the building’s early importance to the Catholic community (Strathearn Historical Park and Museum, n.d.).

“Roberto and I left very early for Simi in the buggy. The Mass was said in the old Presbyterian Church and it was just crowded to the door. I acted as usher, and Roberto served for Father Laubacher. The choir did themselves proud today…”
Juan E. Camarillo, June 19, 1910 (Strathearn Historical Park and Museum, n.d.)

In 1913, the original Presbyterian church building was officially dedicated as a mission church of Santa Clara Catholic Church in Oxnard (which oversaw Catholic ministry there while the building remained in Simi Valley) (Strathearn Historical Park and Museum, n.d).

In 1921, the original church building was elevated again when it became the parish church known as Saint Rose of Lima. The Ferrer family donated a bell, which was added several years later (Strathearn Historical Park and Museum, n.d).

During the 1940s, the former Presbyterian church building was expanded from 60 seats to 160. It remained Simi Valley’s only Catholic church until a new Saint Rose of Lima Church was constructed on Royal Avenue in 1965. By 1964, just before the new 900‑seat sanctuary opened, worshippers were spilling onto the sidewalks during services (Strathearn Historical Park and Museum, n.d.).

The Building Today

After the parish moved to the new location, the original 1902 church building was sold by the diocese to Armando and Ramona Banaga. Forty years later, it was purchased by the park district, moved to Strathearn Historical Park and Museum in 2002, and restored in 2007.

Additional Reading

References

Strathearn Historical Park and Museum. (n.d). Early Worship in the Simi Colony. https://www.simihistory.com/portfolio-items/church/.

Date Designated: June 1981

Location: Strathearn Historical Park, 137 Strathearn Place, Simi Valley

Photos:

Black-and-white historical photograph of a small wooden church with a steep gable roof, arched window, and attached structure, set in a rural landscape with mountains; credit to Strathearn Historical Park and Museum.
Historical photo. Credit: Strathearn Historical Park and Museum.
Light gray wooden church with steep roof, arched window, and porch, dated 1978, surrounded by trees.
Church building, 1978.
Small wooden church with shingled roof and bell tower, featuring "Iglesia de Dios" sign above double doors, identified as Saint Rose of Lima Catholic Church circa 1985.
Saint Rose of Lima Catholic Church, circa 1985.
Small yellow church with "Iglesia de Dios" signage, steeple, and sidewalk, identified as Saint Rose of Lima Catholic Church circa 1985.
Saint Rose of Lima Catholic Church, circa 1985.
White Saint Rose of Lima Catholic Church with dark roof and stained glass window, surrounded by a garden with purple wisteria, a horse statue, and greenery under a clear blue sky.
Saint Rose of Lima Catholic Church after relocation to Strathearn Park and rehabilitation. Credit: Strathearn Historical Park and Museum.

Translate Disclaimer

The vcrma.org website has been translated for your convenience using translation software powered by Google Translate. Reasonable efforts have been made to provide an accurate translation, however, no automated translation is perfect nor is it intended to replace human translators. Translations are provided as a service to users of the Ventura.org website, and are provided “as is.” No warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, is made as to the accuracy, reliability, or correctness of any translations made from English into any other language. Some content (such as images, videos, Flash, etc.) may not be accurately translated due to the limitations of the translation software.

The official text is the English version of the website. Any discrepancies or differences created in the translation are not binding and have no legal effect for compliance or enforcement purposes. If any questions arise related to the accuracy of the information contained in the translated website, please refer to the English version of the website which is the official version.